What types of carbohydrates and fats should I buy?

Toby Smithson

Meats, dairy, and oils are foods that typically contain higher amounts of fat. To reduce the amount of unhealthy fats in our diets, opt for leaner meats, low-fat dairy, and oils such as olive or canola. Foods that contain healthy fats, like omega-3s, include walnuts, flaxseed, and fish. Foods with carbs include fruits, vegetables, dairy, and grains. Vegetables and fruits can be bought fresh, frozen, dried, or canned. When purchasing frozen, dried, or canned foods, look for labs like “low-”, “no added”, or “reduced” sodium and sugar. For grains, whole wheat pastas, rice, and other bread products are healthier options than chips or white rice.

Make smart choices by selecting fiber-rich complex carbohydrates, including 100% whole-grain bread, brown rice, or steel-cut oats. Select whole foods such as fresh vegetables and lean meats. These all provide slow, sustained releases of energy for long-lasting fuel.  If you do crave something sweet, head for the produce aisle, and pick out your favorite seasonal fruits such as pears, apples, or blueberries.

Processed sweets and goodies also contain saturated and trans fats that clog arteries and stunt weight loss. Instead, purchase items rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, like avocados and nuts.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Burn More Calories with This Sandwich Choice
Energy used for digestion accounts for a good chunk of your daily calorie burn. And you can boost that burn even higher just by choosing whole-grain b...
How should I eat if I want to lose weight?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
Choose foods you enjoy when you are trying to lose weight. This is the most important thing you ...
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
How Do We Fight Obesity?
How Do We Fight Obesity?