What types of carbohydrates and fats should I buy?

Make smart choices by selecting fiber-rich complex carbohydrates, including 100% whole-grain bread, brown rice, or steel-cut oats. Select whole foods such as fresh vegetables and lean meats. These all provide slow, sustained releases of energy for long-lasting fuel.  If you do crave something sweet, head for the produce aisle, and pick out your favorite seasonal fruits such as pears, apples, or blueberries.

Processed sweets and goodies also contain saturated and trans fats that clog arteries and stunt weight loss. Instead, purchase items rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, like avocados and nuts.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Toby Smithson

Meats, dairy, and oils are foods that typically contain higher amounts of fat. To reduce the amount of unhealthy fats in our diets, opt for leaner meats, low-fat dairy, and oils such as olive or canola. Foods that contain healthy fats, like omega-3s, include walnuts, flaxseed, and fish. Foods with carbs include fruits, vegetables, dairy, and grains. Vegetables and fruits can be bought fresh, frozen, dried, or canned. When purchasing frozen, dried, or canned foods, look for labs like “low-”, “no added”, or “reduced” sodium and sugar. For grains, whole wheat pastas, rice, and other bread products are healthier options than chips or white rice.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

High-Fiber Foods for Better Weight Loss
High-Fiber Foods for Better Weight Loss
Make your weight-loss regimen a whole lot easier. Just munch on these high-fiber foods. We're talking about fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, n...
Can I lose weight if I eat in restaurants?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
If you’re looking to lose weight, skip the restaurant meals. According to a study, eating out can ad...
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
Tips to Lose a Lot of Weight And Still Enjoy What You Eat