Can drinking protein shakes help me lose weight?

Are you heavy, or do you just want to cut body fat? Then drink a protein shake. Researchers from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Center found that when a group of study subjects (paunchy middle-aged adults) added two protein shakes daily, they lost body weight and an inch off their waists after eating the same number of average calories than those who didn't drink the whey shakes.

The study subjects added 104 g of protein per day to their diet. A different study, featured in Obesity, found that high-protein diets promote satiety and appetite control, which also aid in weight management.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

How to Cut Calories: Add Fresh Mushrooms
Here's a simple way to slash major calories from some of your favorite comfort foods—and you won't miss a thing. When you're making lasagna, sloppy j...
How can eating strawberries help me lose weight?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
The ellagic acid and anthocyanins found in strawberries aid weight loss in at least three ways:1. Ch...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
What Are Some Healthy Alternatives for Sweets During the Holidays?