Can I eat fats and carbohydrates if I want to lose weight?

Judy Caplan
Yes! Healthy fats like avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds, nut butters, and olives help keep you satiated and reduce cravings. Complex carbohydrates like whole grains, sweet potatoes, and brown rice provide energy. Replace refined carbs with whole grains and avoid processed and sugary carbs.
Marisa Moore

Absolutely! In fact, both are recommended as part of a healthy, balanced diet - even for people who are trying to lose weight.

Carbohydrates are the body's preferred source of energy. They supply the brain and muscles with clean fuel to carry out the many processes required to keep the body performing at its best. Additionally, fiber (a type of carbohydrate) helps you feel full and therefore assists with weight management. If you are trying to lose weight, aim for 45-50% carbohydrate per day from whole grains, fruits, vegetables and milk.

Fats add flavor and satisfaction to meals and are essential to maintaining good overall health. Aim for 25-30% fat per day from healthy fat sources like nuts, nut butters, avocado and olive oil. 

Manuel Villacorta
Science tells us we need to eat minimum amounts of each important food group for optimal brain and bodily function, as well as for weight loss. All the diets that tell you to avoid all fats and carbs are setting you up for physiological failure. I say, don't fight your biology. Give your body what it needs, and watch what you'll soon achieve. When it comes to eating right for weight loss, my research shows the optimal combination you need to fuel your brain and body -- and achieve quality weight loss -- is 45 percent carbs to 30 percent protein to 25 percent fats.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Get Skinny Faster with This Switch
Get Skinny Faster with This Switch
When it comes to the battle of the bulge, you have a better shot of winning if you make this simple switch: Drink water instead of soda and plain tea ...
What percentage of fat, carbs, and protein make up a healthy diet?
Natasha Turner, NDNatasha Turner, ND
The Glyci-Med style of eating is incorporating a Mediterranean diet while also eating for glycemic b...
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
Why Should We Focus on Diet and Nutrition to Stay Healthy?