Why does my body store fat during pregnancy?

The growth around your mid-section doesn't just happen because Freddy Jr. has decided to make camp there for the next 40 weeks. It also happens because you store extra fat during pregnancy, and that fat is typically deposited in the center of your body, rather than other parts of your body. (That fat storage decreases later in pregnancy, when Freddy needs more nutrients.)
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

Pregnancy: Think Before You Drink
Pregnancy: Think Before You Drink
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 percent of pregnant women say they’ve had some alcohol, and one out of every 33 admits...
How can drinking milk affect my pregnancy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
The dairy industry’s marketing mantra of “three-a-day” could take on a whole new meaning in light of...
How frequently should I eat when I'm pregnant?
When you're pregnant, it's smarter to eat five or six small meals throughout the day rather than do ...
What Are Common Misconceptions About Pregnancy and Diet?