Why does my body store fat during pregnancy?

The growth around your mid-section doesn't just happen because Freddy Jr. has decided to make camp there for the next 40 weeks. It also happens because you store extra fat during pregnancy, and that fat is typically deposited in the center of your body, rather than other parts of your body. (That fat storage decreases later in pregnancy, when Freddy needs more nutrients.)
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

Are Prenatal Supplements Missing the Mark?
In 2014, when four-time 800-meter national champion, Alysia Montano, was 34 weeks pregnant, she ran that distance in two minutes and 32.13 seconds—35 ...
What kinds of fish are safe to eat during pregnancy?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
Here’s a list of some healthy, eco-friendly seafood options that are high in omega-3 fats and low in...
How much water should I drink every day if I'm pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
If you're eating a 2,000-calorie diet, you need to drink 2 to 3 liters of water every day. Pregnan...
What Are Common Misconceptions About Pregnancy and Diet?