Why does my body store fat during pregnancy?

The growth around your mid-section doesn't just happen because Freddy Jr. has decided to make camp there for the next 40 weeks. It also happens because you store extra fat during pregnancy, and that fat is typically deposited in the center of your body, rather than other parts of your body. (That fat storage decreases later in pregnancy, when Freddy needs more nutrients.)
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

What You Eat During Pregnancy Influences Your Child’s Food Choices Later in Life
We know moms-to-be are aware of the importance of staying healthy for themselves and the health of their baby, but it’s easy to overlook how powerful ...
What are some guidelines for healthy eating during pregnancy?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
A pregnant woman needs more of many important vitamins, minerals and nutrients than she did before p...
Do I need to limit fluids during delivery of your baby?
There's no need to limit fluids during labor, though hospitals do like to restrict them because vomi...
Do Pregnant Women Need to Eat 300 Extra Calories a Day?