What should I know about nutrition and pregnancy?

Sarah Krieger
Know that the nutrition starts before becoming pregnant and that nutrients are necessary in the first few weeks of pregnancy when a mom may not know she is expecting. It's a good idea to take a daily prenatal multi-vitamin/mineral to mainly consume the folic acid that is necessary in the first few weeks. Beyond that a healthy diet can be viewed under the pregnancy section of the ChooseMyPlate.gov. A healthy diet includes a variety of fruits and vegetables, healthy oils from plants and oily fish, lean animal protein foods and whole grains. Enough of these foods to encourage a slow and appropriate weight gain is the best nutrition plan during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
More and more evidence is piling up about the health benefits of eating foods high in DHA omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon and trout and taking DHA-om...
How can the foods I eat while pregnant affect my mood?
The foods you eat while you're pregnant can influence the delicate hormonal balance that controls yo...
Why is copper important in my diet during pregnancy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Chinese researchers found that many mothers of premature babies were low on copper. It’s possible th...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children