What should I know about nutrition and pregnancy?

Sarah Krieger
Know that the nutrition starts before becoming pregnant and that nutrients are necessary in the first few weeks of pregnancy when a mom may not know she is expecting. It's a good idea to take a daily prenatal multi-vitamin/mineral to mainly consume the folic acid that is necessary in the first few weeks. Beyond that a healthy diet can be viewed under the pregnancy section of the ChooseMyPlate.gov. A healthy diet includes a variety of fruits and vegetables, healthy oils from plants and oily fish, lean animal protein foods and whole grains. Enough of these foods to encourage a slow and appropriate weight gain is the best nutrition plan during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

What You Eat During Pregnancy Influences Your Child’s Food Choices Later in Life
We know moms-to-be are aware of the importance of staying healthy for themselves and the health of their baby, but it’s easy to overlook how powerful ...
What should I eat during week 23 of pregnancy?
You should make sure to maintain a healthy diet with a balance of protein and vitamins like folic ac...
How closely do I need to monitor my diet when I'm pregnant?
I know that your eating habits can flip-flop and that shifting hormone levels can steer you in odd d...
How Much Damage Did I Do If I Drank Before I Knew I Was Pregnant?