What are the risks of too much vitamin A during pregnancy?

Vitamin A aids in both cell development and brain growth, but this vitamin does have a drawback. There have been links between excessive amounts of vitamin A and an increased risk of birth defects, especially neural tube defects. (Be careful not to eat too many protein, breakfast, or meal-replacement bars, each of which may have 100% of your daily value of vitamin A. Get into the habit of checking the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) nutrition labels on everything you eat.)

Aim for this amount: Consume no more than 15,000 international units (IU) a day while pregnant or just before becoming pregnant.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

Are Prenatal Supplements Missing the Mark?
In 2014, when four-time 800-meter national champion, Alysia Montano, was 34 weeks pregnant, she ran that distance in two minutes and 32.13 seconds—35 ...
What are my special nutritional needs during pregnancy?
Annemarie ColbinAnnemarie Colbin
It is fairly simple: a pregnant woman should eat real, fresh, natural, whole foods and take prenatal...
When I am pregnant what meat and other protein sources should I eat?
Lori MaggioniLori Maggioni
Eating a healthy and balanced diet will help you and your baby get the proper nutrition that you bot...
Do Pregnant Women Need to Eat 300 Extra Calories a Day?