What is a healthy diet during pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

A healthy diet in pregnancy is very similar to a healthy diet for anytime during your lifespan with a few adjustments. As the baby grows you will be eating for 1.1 and if not overweight to start with will need about an additional 300 calories a day. You will need extra calcium, iron and DHA for the baby. During your prenatal visit with your midwife or ob/gyn they will assess a food diary of what you normally eat and make suggestions of ways to get the extra supplements the baby needs as well as prescribing a prenatal vitamin. They will encourage you to avoid processed foods, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, artificial sweeteners and processed foods. They will discuss which fish may contain mercury and encourage you to limit your intake of mercury containing foods.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

Pregnancy: Think Before You Drink
Pregnancy: Think Before You Drink
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 percent of pregnant women say they’ve had some alcohol, and one out of every 33 admits...
What should I eat during week 23 of pregnancy?
You should make sure to maintain a healthy diet with a balance of protein and vitamins like folic ac...
How much more do I have to eat when pregnant?
Essentially, when you're pregnant, you only need to eat 10 percent more than the number of calories ...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children