What fruits should I eat while pregnant?

Sarah Krieger

Absolutely! The more variety of fruits (without added sugar), the better. There are studies that have shown that the infants of moms that ate a larger variety of fruits and vegetables during pregnancy more easily accepted those tastes when they were offered as infants and toddlers. So if you want your child to love pears, watermelon, lychees, mangoes or any other fruit, you better eat them during pregnancy!

Also, please do not be concerned that fruits contain "sugar" as some will say. There is so much going on in fruit: fiber, water, vitamins, minerals and a natural fructose-not table sugar. So eat fruit instead of cookies or ice cream for a sweet treat with so much more--during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

Building an Infant’s Healthy Gut Biome: Breastfeeding and Other Alternatives
An episode of Law and Order, called Mother’s Milk, was a cautionary tale about what happens when a breastfeeding consultant goes completely over-the-t...
What kinds of fish are safe to eat during pregnancy?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
Here’s a list of some healthy, eco-friendly seafood options that are high in omega-3 fats and low in...
I am pregnant and usually very hungry. What should I know about snacking?
Since you are eating for two (or more) when you are pregnant, your body needs more nutrients, vitami...
What Are the Most Important Nutrients to Get During Pregnancy?