What kinds of fish are safe to eat during pregnancy?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
Here’s a list of some healthy, eco-friendly seafood options that are high in omega-3 fats and low in contaminants like mercury:

Farmed abalone, farmed catfish, farmed caviar, farmed clams, Blue crab, Dungeness crab, Snow crab, Stone crab, Flounder, Haddock, Atlantic herring and anchovies, Mahi mahi, farmed mussels, farmed oysters, wild Alaskan or Pacific salmon, canned wild pink or sockeye salmon, sardines, Bay scallops, farmed scallops, Northern shrimp, Oregon shrimp, spot prawns, farmed striped bass, farmed sturgeon, farmed trout.

You can also check with your local department of health for regional recommendations and advisories.
Feeding Baby Green: The Earth Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition During Pregnancy, Childhood, and Beyond

The new "baby feeding bible" from the award-wining author of Raising Baby Green Called the "Al Gore of Parenting" by Parenting Magazine, Dr. Alan Greene has written the follow up to his...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

What You Eat During Pregnancy Influences Your Child’s Food Choices Later in Life
We know moms-to-be are aware of the importance of staying healthy for themselves and the health of their baby, but it’s easy to overlook how powerful ...
When I am pregnant what meat and other protein sources should I eat?
Lori MaggioniLori Maggioni
Eating a healthy and balanced diet will help you and your baby get the proper nutrition that you bot...
Why do I need extra calcium during pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
In order to maintain your calcium stores that you will need later in your lifetime it is important t...
Do Pregnant Women Need to Eat 300 Extra Calories a Day?