I am pregnant and usually very hungry. What should I know about snacking?

Since you are eating for two (or more) when you are pregnant, your body needs more nutrients, vitamins and minerals, and calories. You may have already noticed that your appetite has increased. This is normal. Snacking can help in this regard, but you should avoid snacks high in sugar, such as soda or candy bars, and make sure you drink milk and tap water with fluoride whenever you can. Your baby needs calcium for his or her developing teeth and bones.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
More and more evidence is piling up about the health benefits of eating foods high in DHA omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon and trout and taking DHA-om...
Why is additional iron recommended during pregnancy?
Because a mom transfers about 1,000 milligrams (mg) of iron to a growing baby and increases her tota...
Can my diet in pregnancy influence my child's food preferences?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
Research shows that baby’s first food preferences can be altered by his mother’s food choices. The p...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children