Do I need to limit fluids during delivery of your baby?

There's no need to limit fluids during labor, though hospitals do like to restrict them because vomiting during labor in certain positions is very common, and anesthesiologists fear aspiration. Women actually do better when they're hydrated. Please, though, no red Kool-Aid or Hawaiian Punch. Hospital staff prefer you stick to clear fluids; after all, somebody else does have to do the dirty work if you get nauseous during labor. By the way, OB anesthesiologists consider pregnant women to always have a full stomach; that's because it takes longer for them to empty their stomachs. So orders of not eating during labor are common sense.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
More and more evidence is piling up about the health benefits of eating foods high in DHA omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon and trout and taking DHA-om...
Do pregnant women need to eat 300 extra calories a day?
Not all women need to eat extra calories during pregnancy. Find out more in this video as Dr. Oz...
Will supplements help with pregnancy?
Kat Barefield, MS, RDKat Barefield, MS, RD
Yes, you will likely need a prenatal vitamin because it supplies key nutrients to help prevent birth...
What Are the Most Important Nutrients to Get During Pregnancy?