How can low folic acid levels affect my baby if I am pregnant?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some Americans, including a fair number of women of childbearing age, don't get enough of folic acid. That's worrisome because insufficient levels just before and during the early stages of pregnancy increase the risk of having a baby with a neural tube defect -- a serious malformation of the spine, skull, or brain.  Because this can occur early in pregnancy, when many women do not yet know that they are pregnant, it is recommended that women who might become pregnant take a folate supplement or prenatal vitamin.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

What You Eat During Pregnancy Influences Your Child’s Food Choices Later in Life
We know moms-to-be are aware of the importance of staying healthy for themselves and the health of their baby, but it’s easy to overlook how powerful ...
Are Spirulina supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
It is not known at this time whether Spirulina is safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women or fo...
What should I eat during week 23 of pregnancy?
You should make sure to maintain a healthy diet with a balance of protein and vitamins like folic ac...
What Are Common Misconceptions About Pregnancy and Diet?