How can low folic acid levels affect my baby if I am pregnant?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some Americans, including a fair number of women of childbearing age, don't get enough of folic acid. That's worrisome because insufficient levels just before and during the early stages of pregnancy increase the risk of having a baby with a neural tube defect -- a serious malformation of the spine, skull, or brain.  Because this can occur early in pregnancy, when many women do not yet know that they are pregnant, it is recommended that women who might become pregnant take a folate supplement or prenatal vitamin.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
More and more evidence is piling up about the health benefits of eating foods high in DHA omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon and trout and taking DHA-om...
What should I know about nutrition and pregnancy?
Sarah KriegerSarah Krieger
Know that the nutrition starts before becoming pregnant and that nutrients are necessary in the firs...
Are garlic supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
Tieraona Low Dog, MDTieraona Low Dog, MD
Garlic is not only used in cooking, but also in supplement form for many reasons. In this video, int...
How Much Damage Did I Do If I Drank Before I Knew I Was Pregnant?