How can the foods I eat while pregnant affect my mood?

The foods you eat while you're pregnant can influence the delicate hormonal balance that controls your moods and emotions. So it's worth experimenting with different foods (peanut butter cups don't count) to see if small adjustments can help. Sometimes, though, those neurochemical imbalances make deep dips - and it's hard to recover from them. Plus, resist the temptation to treat your anxiety or depression with overeating (looking in the mirror afterward may only make you more depressed).

One tip: Nuts, fruits, and vegetables may help raise serotonin levels.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
More and more evidence is piling up about the health benefits of eating foods high in DHA omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon and trout and taking DHA-om...
How much more do I have to eat when pregnant?
Essentially, when you're pregnant, you only need to eat 10 percent more than the number of calories ...
Can my diet in pregnancy influence my child's food preferences?
Linda Lockett-BrownLinda Lockett-Brown
The effect of foods eaten during pregnancy in the baby has been a subject of discussion for thousand...
What Are Common Misconceptions About Pregnancy and Diet?