How can the foods I eat while pregnant affect my mood?

The foods you eat while you're pregnant can influence the delicate hormonal balance that controls your moods and emotions. So it's worth experimenting with different foods (peanut butter cups don't count) to see if small adjustments can help. Sometimes, though, those neurochemical imbalances make deep dips - and it's hard to recover from them. Plus, resist the temptation to treat your anxiety or depression with overeating (looking in the mirror afterward may only make you more depressed).

One tip: Nuts, fruits, and vegetables may help raise serotonin levels.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

Building an Infant’s Healthy Gut Biome: Breastfeeding and Other Alternatives
An episode of Law and Order, called Mother’s Milk, was a cautionary tale about what happens when a breastfeeding consultant goes completely over-the-t...
Why is copper important in my diet during pregnancy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Chinese researchers found that many mothers of premature babies were low on copper. It’s possible th...
Is it safe to consume aspartame while pregnant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
There is no evidence to suggest that aspartame (NutraSweet®) is a risk to your developing baby. Howe...
What Are the Most Important Nutrients to Get During Pregnancy?