Is calcium safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers?

When taken as directed, calcium is safe for pregnant and nursing women. In fact, doctors recommend calcium supplements for pregnant and nursing women. Taking calcium while pregnant encourages healthy development and growth of the unborn child. Taking calcium while breastfeeding will help enrich breast milk with calcium. However, it is important to note that taking too much calcium can harm both the child and the mother.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
More and more evidence is piling up about the health benefits of eating foods high in DHA omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon and trout and taking DHA-om...
How can low folic acid levels affect my baby if I am pregnant?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some Americans, including a fair number of women of childbearing age, don't get enough of folic acid...
What are my special nutritional needs during pregnancy?
Annemarie ColbinAnnemarie Colbin
It is fairly simple: a pregnant woman should eat real, fresh, natural, whole foods and take prenatal...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children