Is calcium safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers?

When taken as directed, calcium is safe for pregnant and nursing women. In fact, doctors recommend calcium supplements for pregnant and nursing women. Taking calcium while pregnant encourages healthy development and growth of the unborn child. Taking calcium while breastfeeding will help enrich breast milk with calcium. However, it is important to note that taking too much calcium can harm both the child and the mother.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

What You Eat During Pregnancy Influences Your Child’s Food Choices Later in Life
We know moms-to-be are aware of the importance of staying healthy for themselves and the health of their baby, but it’s easy to overlook how powerful ...
How much water should I drink every day if I'm pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
If you're eating a 2,000-calorie diet, you need to drink 2 to 3 liters of water every day. Pregnan...
What is a healthy diet during pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
A healthy diet in pregnancy is very similar to a healthy diet for anytime during your lifespan with ...
How Much Damage Did I Do If I Drank Before I Knew I Was Pregnant?