What should my basic nutrition goals be when I'm pregnant?

Lyn Turton

The aim of nutrition during pregnancy is to nourish both mom and baby. Focus on the nutritional quality of your diet rather than thinking you're 'eating for two'. 

This means making sure that each day you are eating a variety of food from each food group - fruits, vegetables, protein (such as meat, fish, beans, tofu, egg), wholegrain carbohydrates (such as rice, bread, pasta) and dairy or non-dairy alternative (such as milk, cheese, yogurt). This will provide mom and baby with the variety of nutrients, vitamins and minerals you both need for health and growth. Discuss the use of vitamin and mineral supplements with your doctor.

The danger with thinking you're 'eating for two' is that you may be increasing calorie intake only and not providing the vital nutrients. This can lead to excessive weight gain which may be harmful and can be difficult to lose post pregnancy.

Good nutrition is perhaps more important during pregnancy than at any other time in a woman’s life, not simply on account of the health of the child, but also because a child’s gestation makes tremendous demands on the mother’s body. Eating right can help ensure that essential nutrient levels aren’t drained from the mother in response to the baby’s needs. In addition, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help expectant mothers avoid unnecessary weight gain, and thus avoid risks to both their and their child’s health. Plus, this kind of diet will make it easier for the mother to return to a healthy weight after delivery.
You should expect times when you'll feel like feasting and times when you feel like fainting. That said, it's smart to be aware of what your basic nutritional goals should be (though not to feel guilty if you don't hit them every day). You should strive for:
- 9 or more serving (fistfuls) of fruits and vegetables
- 3 or more servings of whole-grain and other grain products
- 3 or more servings of lean protein in the form of lean meat, poultry, low-mercury fish, eggs, nuts, beans, lentils, and tofu
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
DHA-Omega 3s for Expecting Moms
More and more evidence is piling up about the health benefits of eating foods high in DHA omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon and trout and taking DHA-om...
What should I eat during week 23 of pregnancy?
You should make sure to maintain a healthy diet with a balance of protein and vitamins like folic ac...
Why is copper important in my diet during pregnancy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Chinese researchers found that many mothers of premature babies were low on copper. It’s possible th...
What Are Common Misconceptions About Pregnancy and Diet?