Why does my sense of smell seem worse?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Nasal congestion due to colds or allergies may cause your sense of smell to decrease or disappear. This is called transient lack of smell, or anosmia. Smoking, of course, not only destroys taste buds, but also decreases the ability to smell. Overuse of nonprescription nasal sprays such as Afrin is another common cause of loss of smell. Less common causes are medical disorders such as zinc deficiency and hypothyroidism. Rarely, loss of smell can be a sign of diseases in the frontal lobe of the brain such as tumors or dementia.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What increases my risk for nose disorders?
Your risk for nose disorders increases depending on your health and your level of activity. Structur...
How does allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Allergic rhinitis affects the body by causing sinus irritation. You will likely experience cold symp...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?