Why does my sense of smell seem worse?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Nasal congestion due to colds or allergies may cause your sense of smell to decrease or disappear. This is called transient lack of smell, or anosmia. Smoking, of course, not only destroys taste buds, but also decreases the ability to smell. Overuse of nonprescription nasal sprays such as Afrin is another common cause of loss of smell. Less common causes are medical disorders such as zinc deficiency and hypothyroidism. Rarely, loss of smell can be a sign of diseases in the frontal lobe of the brain such as tumors or dementia.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
If possible, the best treatment for perennial allergies is to remove the allergen from the environme...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Nasal lavage, or nasal irrigation, helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation connected to nose d...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?