Why does blowing your nose cause nose bleeding?

Eliza Parker
Eliza Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
The inside of the nose is lined with tiny little blood vessels. When a person has a cold or allergies causing a runny nose the inside of the nose gets red and irritated (inflamed). This swelling inside the nose and irritation causes the thin lining of the nose that covers these tiny blood vessels to thin even more making the tiny blood vessels closer to the surface. Blowing the nose very hard can cause further irritation inside the nose by dislodging mucus and possibly exposing these tiny vessels resulting in bleeding. If a person is getting frequent nosebleeds they may have tiny little clots that have formed that have stopped the bleeding previously. If they then blow their nose very hard they could dislodge one of these tiny clots and the nose will start to bleed again.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for nose disorders?
Minor nose disorders like a runny nose may be treated with an over-the-counter medicine, but some di...
What can cause nasal drip?
MediGuardMediGuard
Allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, can cause the nasal drip that may lead to other symptoms.  There is...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?