Why does crying help my baby with choanal atresia breathe?

Infants generally do not know how to breathe through the mouth. The only time that they do this is when they cry. At other times, they breathe through the nose. Choanal atresia makes nose-breathing difficult, so infants may cry in order to mouth-breathe and get the oxygen they need.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Are there ever complications to surgery for nose disorders?
As with any surgery, nose disorder surgeries pose certain risk of complication. In addition to c...
What can I do about my runny nose?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?