Why does crying help my baby with choanal atresia breathe?

Infants generally do not know how to breathe through the mouth. The only time that they do this is when they cry. At other times, they breathe through the nose. Choanal atresia makes nose-breathing difficult, so infants may cry in order to mouth-breathe and get the oxygen they need.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What can cause growths in the nose that occasionally bleed?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
There are many things that grow in noses that can occasionally bleed. Without seeing what is growing...
How do I care for someone with non-allergic rhinitis?
If you are caring for someone who has non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to help the...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?