Who is most at risk for anosmia?

Temporary anosmia is caused by damage to or blockage of the lining of the nose and nasal cavities. People who are most at risk for temporary anosmia are those who smoke or have allergies. Permanent anosmia is caused by damage to the nerves that run from your nose to your brain. People who are most at risk for permanent anosmia include those who have suffered from brain trauma or disorders of the brain, as well as those over the age of 60.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How is allergic rhinitis treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The most effective treatments for allergic rhinitis are corticosteroids or antihistamines that can b...
What increases my risk for nose disorders?
Your risk for nose disorders increases depending on your health and your level of activity. Structur...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?