Who is most at risk for anosmia?

Temporary anosmia is caused by damage to or blockage of the lining of the nose and nasal cavities. People who are most at risk for temporary anosmia are those who smoke or have allergies. Permanent anosmia is caused by damage to the nerves that run from your nose to your brain. People who are most at risk for permanent anosmia include those who have suffered from brain trauma or disorders of the brain, as well as those over the age of 60.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do nose disorders affect the body?
Regardless of the cause of nose disorder, the effect on the body is determined by the severity of th...
How is allergic rhinitis treated?
The most effective treatments for allergic rhinitis are corticosteroids or antihistamines that can b...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?