What are the treatment options for nose disorders?

Minor nose disorders like a runny nose may be treated with an over-the-counter medicine, but some disorders, like a deviated septum or large polyps, may require surgery. For disorders caused by inflammation and infection, a doctor might prescribe antihistamines, decongestants, antibiotics, or nasal irrigation. Nasal steroids are sometimes prescribed for disorders connected to allergies and prednisone, which is an oral steroid, may be used in short-term doses. For a deviated septum or other structural damage, there are several surgical options including endoscopic sinus surgery, polyectomy, rhinoplasty, or septoplasty that should correct the problems.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do medications treat nose disorders?
Medications used to treat nose disorders usually work on reducing the inflammation that causes the d...
Is a nose disorder serious?
Unless a nose disorder is the result of a malignant tumor or causes serious obstruction to the airwa...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?