What are the treatment options for anosmia?

Treatment options for anosmia can vary depending on the cause. If your anosmia is caused by an allergy or infection, your doctor can prescribe medicine to clear up your condition. If your anosmia is caused by a polyp or tumor, your doctor can remove the blockage. In some cases, such as when anosmia is caused by aging, the condition is permanent, so treatment consists of teaching coping methods. These methods may include installing smoke alarms, or having someone check for smoke or gas leaks at home.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people ar...
Why do I keep getting bloody noses?
There are two types of bloody noses. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the kind of bloody nose to ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?