What treatment should my child receive for a nosebleed?

Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines to follow include:

• Place your child in a sitting position with his head bent slightly forward.
  • Apply firm pressure below the bony part of the nose with your thumb and forefinger.
  • Hold the pressure for five minutes, even if the bleeding has stopped.
  • Repeat the pressure two more times if the bleeding has not stopped.
  • Place ice packs on the bridge of the nose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are there alternative treatments for nose disorders?
The symptoms of nose disorders may be treatable with some alternative treatments. Nasal irrigation, ...
What can cause growths in the nose that occasionally bleed?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
There are many things that grow in noses that can occasionally bleed. Without seeing what is growing...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?