What are symptoms of a tumor in the nose or sinuses?

Alen N. Cohen, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Tumors of the nose and sinuses cause symptoms on one side of the face. In this video, Alen Cohen, MD, FACS, of West Hills Hospital, describes the breathing problems and pain associated with tumors of the nose.
Satish Govindaraj, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Symptoms vary depending on where the tumor is growing. The most common symptoms are nasal congestion and discharge. Because these are also symptoms of other benign processes such as sinusitis and allergies, this can often delay the diagnosis of a malignancy. Nasal tumors are usually diagnosed earlier than sinus tumors because of the earlier onset of symptoms.

Patients with sinonasal tumors may also present with:
  • Difficulty breathing through one side of the nose
  • Nasal bleeding
  • Nasal obstruction (usually on one side only)
  • Loss of sense of smell
  • Facial pressure, swelling, or pain
  • Bulging eye
  • Double vision
  • Tearing
  • Visual loss
  • Loosening or numbness of the upper teeth
Patients with very advanced lesions may experience:
  • Difficulty opening the mouth
  • Hearing loss and/or ear pain
  • Headaches
  • Mental status changes
  • Post obstructive sinusitis from a nasal tumor

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do I care for someone with non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you are caring for someone who has non-allergic rhinitis, there are things you can do to help the...
How can I get rid of my chronic nasal congestion?
Chronic nasal congestion can be treated in a variety of ways. One the easiest and most effective met...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?