What are symptoms of a tumor in the nose or sinuses?

Alen N. Cohen, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Tumors of the nose and sinuses cause symptoms on one side of the face. In this video, Alen Cohen, MD, FACS, of West Hills Hospital, describes the breathing problems and pain associated with tumors of the nose.
Satish Govindaraj, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Symptoms vary depending on where the tumor is growing. The most common symptoms are nasal congestion and discharge. Because these are also symptoms of other benign processes such as sinusitis and allergies, this can often delay the diagnosis of a malignancy. Nasal tumors are usually diagnosed earlier than sinus tumors because of the earlier onset of symptoms.

Patients with sinonasal tumors may also present with:
  • Difficulty breathing through one side of the nose
  • Nasal bleeding
  • Nasal obstruction (usually on one side only)
  • Loss of sense of smell
  • Facial pressure, swelling, or pain
  • Bulging eye
  • Double vision
  • Tearing
  • Visual loss
  • Loosening or numbness of the upper teeth
Patients with very advanced lesions may experience:
  • Difficulty opening the mouth
  • Hearing loss and/or ear pain
  • Headaches
  • Mental status changes
  • Post obstructive sinusitis from a nasal tumor

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What can I do for nasal congestion?
Tasneem H. Bhatia, MDTasneem H. Bhatia, MD
Natural remedies can be effective for clearing a stuffy nose, says integrative medicine speciali...
Are allergies the same as nose disorders?
Allergies are often the cause of nose disorders like rhinitis and chronic sinusitis, but allergies a...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?