What are some of the reasons why I can’t breathe out of my nose?

Marilene B. Wang, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
A variety of conditions can result in difficulty breathing through the nose. If you are sneezing a lot or have itchy eyes and a runny nose, you many have allergic rhinitis. This is caused by exposure to different irritants in the environment that trigger an inflammatory reaction in the nose.

If you have a history of nasal trauma, either from sports or an accident, you may have a deviated septum, which could also cause blockage of your nasal breathing.

Chronic infections, such as chronic sinusitis or nasal polyps, can also block breathing in the nose. Rarely, tumors -- most of them benign but occasionally malignant -- can grow inside the nose and obstruct nasal breathing.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How can I get rid of my chronic nasal congestion?
Chronic nasal congestion can be treated in a variety of ways. One the easiest and most effective met...
How do I manage nose disorders on a daily basis?
Managing nose disorders may be as simple as keeping your nasal passages clear by blowing your nose. ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?