What are some of the reasons why I can’t breathe out of my nose?

Marilene B. Wang, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
A variety of conditions can result in difficulty breathing through the nose. If you are sneezing a lot or have itchy eyes and a runny nose, you many have allergic rhinitis. This is caused by exposure to different irritants in the environment that trigger an inflammatory reaction in the nose.

If you have a history of nasal trauma, either from sports or an accident, you may have a deviated septum, which could also cause blockage of your nasal breathing.

Chronic infections, such as chronic sinusitis or nasal polyps, can also block breathing in the nose. Rarely, tumors -- most of them benign but occasionally malignant -- can grow inside the nose and obstruct nasal breathing.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How is allergic rhinitis treated?
The most effective treatments for allergic rhinitis are corticosteroids or antihistamines that can b...
Is there a cure for nose disorders?
Nose disorders that are a result of structural problems may be cured with surgical treatments. A dev...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?