What is postnasal drip?

Mucus normally runs from the back of your nose down into your throat. Postnasal drip occurs when the secretion is thick or excessive, and it can be felt accumulating and dripping. The sensation can be unpleasant and may result in a chronic cough. Several different things can increase nasal secretions and cause postnasal drip including:
  • taking certain medications, such as birth control pills and blood pressure medicines
  • a structural abnormality such as a deviated septum
  • excessive dryness in heated buildings, especially in winter
  • allergies, including hay fever
  • viral infections including colds and flu
  • bacterial infections, such as sinus infections
  • hormonal changes, including those in pregnancy
  • eating spicy foods
  • swallowing problems
In addition to causing a chronic cough, postnasal drip can cause a sore throat and swelling in the tonsils and other tissues in the throat. Postnasal drip often improves after treating the underlying problem causing it, such as taking antibiotics to clear an infection and avoiding allergens.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do I manage nose disorders on a daily basis?
Managing nose disorders may be as simple as keeping your nasal passages clear by blowing your nose. ...
How can I get rid of my chronic nasal congestion?
Chronic nasal congestion can be treated in a variety of ways. One the easiest and most effective met...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?