What is seasonal allergic rhinitis?

Seasonal allergic rhinitis is another name for hay fever, which is an allergic reaction to seasonal allergens—usually things like pollen from trees, grass or weeds. In people with seasonal allergic rhinitis, the immune system overreacts to these harmless substances and identifies them as a threat. Your body fights back by releasing chemicals like histamine, which causes the sneezing and runny nose that are typical symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis.

Some people can have allergic rhinitis all year round, but for people with seasonal allergic rhinitis, their symptoms usually get worse during the spring and fall.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do nose disorders affect the body?
Regardless of the cause of nose disorder, the effect on the body is determined by the severity of th...
What are the treatment options for nose disorders?
Minor nose disorders like a runny nose may be treated with an over-the-counter medicine, but some di...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?