What is rhinitis medicamentosa?

Rhinitis medicamentosa is a stuffy or runny nose caused by overusing medications such as nasal sprays or drops or using them incorrectly. It is sometimes referred to as "rebound" rhinitis because the medications actually worsen the condition they are meant to improve. Rhinitis medicamentosa can also be caused by other types of medications taken orally.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
Are there alternative treatments for nose disorders?
The symptoms of nose disorders may be treatable with some alternative treatments. Nasal irrigation, ...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?