What is choanal atresia?

Choanal atresia is a condition in which the nasal airways are blocked or narrowed by tissue or bone. It is only possible to be born with the condition; it does not develop later in life. Choanal atresia is rare and may can affect the entire nose or only one of the passages. The condition may be more difficult to diagnose when it only affects one side of the nose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What can cause growths in the nose that occasionally bleed?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
There are many things that grow in noses that can occasionally bleed. Without seeing what is growing...
What causes perennial allergic rhinitis?
Allergic rhinitis is a type of rhinitis caused by an allergy. When a person breathes in an allergen,...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?