What is catarrh?

Catarrh describes excessive amount of mucus, a secretion that causes sinus congestion when the ear, nose, throat, or chest is irritated. Catarrh is not a disorder or illness, but instead occurs as a result of an infection or allergy. When a person encounters an irritating agent, the lining of an airway or cavity will become swollen and irritated, producing mucus to eliminate the harmful object. This reaction causes congestion and discomfort, but usually clears up within several days with the use of decongestants and some natural remedies.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Are there alternative treatments for nose disorders?
The symptoms of nose disorders may be treatable with some alternative treatments. Nasal irrigation, ...
How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs whe...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?