What is catarrh?

Catarrh describes excessive amount of mucus, a secretion that causes sinus congestion when the ear, nose, throat, or chest is irritated. Catarrh is not a disorder or illness, but instead occurs as a result of an infection or allergy. When a person encounters an irritating agent, the lining of an airway or cavity will become swollen and irritated, producing mucus to eliminate the harmful object. This reaction causes congestion and discomfort, but usually clears up within several days with the use of decongestants and some natural remedies.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What are nose disorders?
Nose disorders, also called nasal disorders, are the problems that you may experience in your nose d...
Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?
Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Som...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?