What is a deviated nasal septum?

Your septum is the part of your nose that divides your nostrils. Usually, it should be centered so that your nostrils are the same size. If it is not centered, then you have a deviated septum and one of your nostrils is smaller than the other. This can be something you are born with or it can be caused by an injury. Whatever the case may be, a deviated septum can cause several health complications. You may have trouble breathing, develop sinus infections easily, and be plagued by nasal congestion and nosebleeds.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How is a nose disorder diagnosed?
Nasal disorders are often diagnosed by the basic symptoms observed by you and your doctor. If furthe...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Nasal Lavage can give temporary relief of nasal congestion by rinsing out thick mucus from the nose....
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?