What increases my risk for rhinitis medicamentosa?

Your risk for rhinitis medicamentosa increases if you overuse or misuse medicated nasal drips or sprays. Using these medications for many days in a row or with greater frequency than suggested can cause the condition. Usually the symptoms of rhinitis medicamentosa do not show up until at least three days of decongestant use. The condition can also be caused by oral medications such as oral contraceptives, antipsychotic drugs, or antihypertensive drugs.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Will nose disorders affect my sense of smell and taste?
Your sense of taste and smell are directly connected to how well your nose is functioning. Whereas t...
What can cause growths in the nose that occasionally bleed?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
There are many things that grow in noses that can occasionally bleed. Without seeing what is growing...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?