What increases my risk for anosmia?

Your risks for anosmia can be increased by a variety of factors. Seasonal allergies, smoking, sinus infections, and the common cold can damage the lining of your nose and increase your risks for anosmia. In addition, some chemicals and pesticides can damage the nerves that transmit your sense of smell, causing anosmia. To help prevent anosmia, you should quit smoking, wash your hands frequently to avoid getting sick, and avoid excessive exposure to chemicals.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How does nasal congestion impair my hearing?
When you blow your nose too hard with a cold or sinusitis, this can close the eustachian tube, which...
Does smoking cigarettes lead to nose disorders?
Cigarette smoking negatively affects every organ in your body, including your nose. While cigarette ...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?