What increases my child's risk for choanal atresia?

It is unknown what exactly causes choanal atresia. However, it is roughly twice as likely to occur in a girl as in a boy, so females are at increased risk. Choanal atresia is, in at least half of cases, present with other conditions at birth, so having other congenital problems may increase the risk as well.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people ar...
Is laryngeal papillomatosis considered a nose disorder?
Laryngeal papillomatosis is a tumor of the voice box caused by the human papillomavirus. Although la...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?