What increases my child's risk for choanal atresia?

It is unknown what exactly causes choanal atresia. However, it is roughly twice as likely to occur in a girl as in a boy, so females are at increased risk. Choanal atresia is, in at least half of cases, present with other conditions at birth, so having other congenital problems may increase the risk as well.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Is laryngeal papillomatosis considered a nose disorder?
Laryngeal papillomatosis is a tumor of the voice box caused by the human papillomavirus. Although la...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?