What increases my child's risk for choanal atresia?

It is unknown what exactly causes choanal atresia. However, it is roughly twice as likely to occur in a girl as in a boy, so females are at increased risk. Choanal atresia is, in at least half of cases, present with other conditions at birth, so having other congenital problems may increase the risk as well.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How is a nose disorder diagnosed?
Nasal disorders are often diagnosed by the basic symptoms observed by you and your doctor. If furthe...
Are allergies the same as nose disorders?
Allergies are often the cause of nose disorders like rhinitis and chronic sinusitis, but allergies a...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?