What causes vasomotor rhinitis?

Although the cause of vasometer rhinitis is unknown, several things are known to trigger symptoms. Some triggers include perfume, airborne particles such as dust and pollen, and pollution. Other conditions include hormonal changes, emotional and physical stress, use of certain drugs such as antidepressants, hot and spicy foods, alcohol, and an infection. Strong perfumes, chemical odors, dust, barometric pressure changes, and even bright lights might also trigger vasomotor rhinitis. Dry air makes the condition worse.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Is it dangerous to hold in a sneeze?
Holding in a sneeze is like holding down the top of a jack-in-the-box. Why not just let it out? The ...
What can I do about my runny nose?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?