What causes a tumor in the nose or sinuses?

Satish Govindaraj, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
No direct cause of sinonasal tumors has been determined except for an association between squamous cell carcinoma and cigarette smoking.

There is no known way to prevent malignant sinonasal tumors, although not smoking may decrease the risk of squamous cell carcinoma. Early, accurate diagnosis may lessen the morbidity of undetected advanced disease.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What can cause nasal drip?
MediGuardMediGuard
Allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, can cause the nasal drip that may lead to other symptoms.  There is...
Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?
Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Som...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?