What causes rhinophyma?

Previously, rhinophyma was assumed to be caused by alcohol consumption, but rhinophyma occurs just as often among people who do not drink alcohol as it does among those who do. Scientists do not yet understand the exact cause of the condition, though it probably has both family and environmental factors. It is also associated with advanced rosacea, a chronic skin condition.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is the long-term prognosis for someone with nose disorders?
The long-term prognosis for nose disorder is good in that nose disorders are rarely serious. Some no...
Should I talk to my doctor about a nose disorder?
Nose disorders can interrupt daily activity and sleep. Some symptoms of nose disorders are common to...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?