What causes rhinitis medicamentosa?

Rhinitis medicamentosa is caused by the overuse of certain medications, typically nasal drops or sprays, or their improper use. The medications create symptoms such as inflammation of the nasal passages and a runny or stuffy nose - the very symptoms they are meant to treat in the case of decongestants. This is why the condition is sometimes referred to as "rebound" rhinitis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
Can nose disorders be prevented?
Nose disorders cannot be completely prevented, but avoiding triggers and irritants that lead to infl...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?