What causes rhinitis medicamentosa?

Rhinitis medicamentosa is caused by the overuse of certain medications, typically nasal drops or sprays, or their improper use. The medications create symptoms such as inflammation of the nasal passages and a runny or stuffy nose - the very symptoms they are meant to treat in the case of decongestants. This is why the condition is sometimes referred to as "rebound" rhinitis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do medications treat nose disorders?
Medications used to treat nose disorders usually work on reducing the inflammation that causes the d...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?