What causes catarrh?

Catarrh is caused by outside irritating agents that end up in airways and cavities. To fight this reaction, the body sends white blood cells that protect against infection, which build up in the affected area and cause swelling a mucus production. Common infections like colds can cause catarrh, as well as allergies. Allergic rhinitis is traditional indoor and outdoor allergies like dust and pollen. Non-allergic rhinitis is when irritants like pollution and weather cause a person's blood vessels to swell. Both cause catarrh.

Nasal polyps, which are obstructing bumps inside the nose, prevent the beneficial drainage of mucus from the nose. This buildup of mucous causes catarrh.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are nose disorders more common for pregnant women?
Pregnant women experience hormonal changes that sometimes cause symptoms like nasal congestion or ru...
How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people ar...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?