What causes acute rhinitis?

Acute rhinitis is often viral, frequently related to the common cold. Colds are very contagious, and are often passed from person to person when an infected person coughs or sneezes, sending the virus into the air where it is breathed in by someone else. Also, the virus can be present on the hands of an infected person and on objects he or she has touched. Flu viruses, adenovirus, and other viruses may also cause acute rhinitis. Acute rhinitis may also be caused by an allergen. When a person breathes in an allergen, the body's immune system may react to it, causing a stuffy or runny nose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people ar...
What are the treatment options for non-allergic rhinitis?
Treatments for non-allergic rhinitis vary, depending on severity and type of symptoms. If your sympt...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?