What causes acute rhinitis?

Acute rhinitis is often viral, frequently related to the common cold. Colds are very contagious, and are often passed from person to person when an infected person coughs or sneezes, sending the virus into the air where it is breathed in by someone else. Also, the virus can be present on the hands of an infected person and on objects he or she has touched. Flu viruses, adenovirus, and other viruses may also cause acute rhinitis. Acute rhinitis may also be caused by an allergen. When a person breathes in an allergen, the body's immune system may react to it, causing a stuffy or runny nose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In ...
What are some triggers of non-allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Rhinitis is a condition in which the blood vessels that line the nose become inflamed and swollen, c...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?