What can cause a smell disorder?

Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy & Immunology
It is estimated that at least one of every 100 people in the US may not have an adequate “sense of smell." Some of the most common causes of "smell dysfunction" in around 2 million individuals include allergies (naturally), sinus problems, injuries, structural abnormalities of the nose and sinuses, infection, and prolonged exposure to harsh chemicals.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do other illnesses affect nose disorders?
Some inflammatory nose disorders, like rhinitis, may be complicated by conditions such as asthma, lu...
Why do I keep getting bloody noses?
There are two types of bloody noses. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses the kind of bloody nose to ...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?