What can cause a smell disorder?

Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy & Immunology
It is estimated that at least one of every 100 people in the US may not have an adequate “sense of smell." Some of the most common causes of "smell dysfunction" in around 2 million individuals include allergies (naturally), sinus problems, injuries, structural abnormalities of the nose and sinuses, infection, and prolonged exposure to harsh chemicals.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How can I get rid of my chronic nasal congestion?
Chronic nasal congestion can be treated in a variety of ways. One the easiest and most effective met...
How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people ar...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?