What are nasal polyps?

Nasal polyps are soft, fleshy, noncancerous growths on the lining of the nose or sinuses. They are more likely to occur in people who have chronic sinus infections, allergies and asthma, possibly due to more frequent and long-term swelling and irritation in the area. Aspirin sensitivity and cystic fibrosis also raise a person's risk for developing nasal polyps.

Some people are unaware that they have nasal polyps because they cause no symptoms. In others, nasal polyps may cause symptoms including:
  • sneezing
  • headache and sinus pressure
  • nasal congestion
  • runny nose
  • nasal obstruction
  • postnasal drip
  • facial pain
  • reduced ability or inability to smell
  • itching around the eyes
  • chronic infections
Some nasal polyps clear up on their own, often when the sinus infection clears. In other cases, corticosteroid medications may shrink nasal polyps or they can be removed surgically.
Nasal polyps are abnormal growths of the lining of the nose or sinus cavities. Most often these are benign, or non-cancerous, growths. Although they are not usually dangerous, they can cause problems such as blocking the drainage of the sinuses. It is not known exactly why people develop polyps; however, they seem to occur more often in people who have long-standing inflammation or infection. They occur more commonly in people who have allergies, asthma, chronic sinus infections, and cystic fibrosis.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What can I do about my runny nose?
For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal spray...
How do nose disorders affect the body?
Regardless of the cause of nose disorder, the effect on the body is determined by the severity of th...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?