Should I use a nasal spray for my acute rhinitis?

If you are an adult, you can use a decongestant nasal spray for the nasal congestion due to acute rhinitis, but you should not use these for more than the time specified on the bottle. This is usually just a few days. Children ages 6-12 need adult supervision to use these, and should not use them under the age of 6 without a doctor's approval. Saline nasal sprays, which contain no decongestant, may be a safer alternative to help clear nasal congestion. 

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Are there alternative treatments for nose disorders?
The symptoms of nose disorders may be treatable with some alternative treatments. Nasal irrigation, ...
How does allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Allergic rhinitis affects the body by causing sinus irritation. You will likely experience cold symp...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?