What are the treatment options for acute rhinitis?

If your acute rhinitis is caused by the common cold, the best treatment is to get rest and fluids. Medications can be used to treat specific symptoms. For example, decongestants can be used for nasal congestion. A humidifier may also be helpful for reducing congestion. Nasal decongestant sprays may be used by adults, but not for more than a few days. If your rhinitis is due to an allergy, over-the-counter or prescription antihistamines are a common treatment. Some doctors may prescribe nasal sprays that contain corticosteroids, and allergy shots are used in some cases.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Should I talk to my doctor about my non-allergic rhinitis symptoms?
Symptoms such as nasal congestion are related to non-allergic rhinitis and can recur year-round. In ...
How is a nose disorder diagnosed?
Nasal disorders are often diagnosed by the basic symptoms observed by you and your doctor. If furthe...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?