What are the treatment options for acute rhinitis?

If your acute rhinitis is caused by the common cold, the best treatment is to get rest and fluids. Medications can be used to treat specific symptoms. For example, decongestants can be used for nasal congestion. A humidifier may also be helpful for reducing congestion. Nasal decongestant sprays may be used by adults, but not for more than a few days. If your rhinitis is due to an allergy, over-the-counter or prescription antihistamines are a common treatment. Some doctors may prescribe nasal sprays that contain corticosteroids, and allergy shots are used in some cases.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What are nose disorders?
Nose disorders, also called nasal disorders, are the problems that you may experience in your nose d...
Should I talk to my doctor about a nose disorder?
Nose disorders can interrupt daily activity and sleep. Some symptoms of nose disorders are common to...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?