Should I talk to my doctor about my acute rhinitis symptoms?

If you are experiencing symptoms of acute rhinitis, such as runny nose, stuffy nose, and sneezing, you may not need to talk to your doctor. However, if you begin to experience symptoms of pneumonia, see your doctor, as this is a serious complication that can occasionally arise from a cold. These symptoms include a severe cough, high fever, breathing problems, and pain when you take a breath. In addition, if you begin to experience symptoms of a secondary infection such as an ear infection or a sinus infection-such as a high fever or greenish nasal discharge-see your doctor. If your acute rhinitis doesn't seem to go away or is interfering with daily tasks, you may want to talk to your doctor about the possibility that an allergy may be the cause.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are there alternative treatments for nose disorders?
The symptoms of nose disorders may be treatable with some alternative treatments. Nasal irrigation, ...
How does nasal congestion impair my hearing?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Nasal congestion can impair your hearing if it causes your eustachian tubes to be blocked. Whether t...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?