Should I talk to my doctor about my acute rhinitis symptoms?

If you are experiencing symptoms of acute rhinitis, such as runny nose, stuffy nose, and sneezing, you may not need to talk to your doctor. However, if you begin to experience symptoms of pneumonia, see your doctor, as this is a serious complication that can occasionally arise from a cold. These symptoms include a severe cough, high fever, breathing problems, and pain when you take a breath. In addition, if you begin to experience symptoms of a secondary infection such as an ear infection or a sinus infection-such as a high fever or greenish nasal discharge-see your doctor. If your acute rhinitis doesn't seem to go away or is interfering with daily tasks, you may want to talk to your doctor about the possibility that an allergy may be the cause.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How does allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Allergic rhinitis affects the body by causing sinus irritation. You will likely experience cold symp...
Are nose disorders more common for pregnant women?
Pregnant women experience hormonal changes that sometimes cause symptoms like nasal congestion or ru...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?