How does rhinoplasty relate to rhinophyma?

Rhinoplasty is a common type of plastic surgery used to change the appearance and improve the functioning of the nose. Sometimes rhinoplasty is used to address rhinophyma, the enlargement and reddening of the nose that may occur as a result of advanced rosacea. The surgery is usually done on an outpatient basis, under general or local anesthesia.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Patients with rhinophyma often have thickened glandular noses. These patients may undergo rhinoplasty to reduce the large size of the nares. Dermabrasion of the skin may also be useful to decrease the glandular hypertrophy.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
Are nose disorders more common for pregnant women?
Pregnant women experience hormonal changes that sometimes cause symptoms like nasal congestion or ru...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?