Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?

Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Some forms of rhinitis, like atrophic rhinitis, are also more common in older people because the mucous membranes begin to atrophy and the nasal passages widen. Other disorders, like nosebleeds, will affect an older person differently because of the narrowing of the arteries, which causes an adult nose to bleed from further inside the nose than child's nose usually bleeds. Conditions like sleep apnea, which can be caused by nose disorders, also worsen with age and are therefore more serious for adults.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs whe...
What else besides GERD can cause mucous in my nose and throat?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Mucous is naturally present in the throat. The sensation of "post nasal drip" or mucous in the throa...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?