Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?

Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Some forms of rhinitis, like atrophic rhinitis, are also more common in older people because the mucous membranes begin to atrophy and the nasal passages widen. Other disorders, like nosebleeds, will affect an older person differently because of the narrowing of the arteries, which causes an adult nose to bleed from further inside the nose than child's nose usually bleeds. Conditions like sleep apnea, which can be caused by nose disorders, also worsen with age and are therefore more serious for adults.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are allergies the same as nose disorders?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
The nose is just one of many parts of the body that can be affected by allergies. And nose disorders...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?