How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?

Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people are affected by the common cold in the United States every year. In non-allergic rhinitis, the blood vessels expand in the nose, causing inflammation in the tissues that line the nose. This causes nasal congestion, or runniness and stuffiness, and postnasal drip. Non-allergic rhinitis symptoms are not triggered by allergies.

Non-allergic rhinitis is a bothersome condition, but it is not a serious, harmful disease. Complications like infection and nose polyps can develop in more severe cases, but these usually are not serious. Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms related to non-allergic rhinitis to discuss your treatment options.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What causes perennial allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Allergic rhinitis is a type of rhinitis caused by an allergy. When a person breathes in an allergen,...
What can I do for nasal congestion?
Tasneem H. Bhatia, MDTasneem H. Bhatia, MD
Natural remedies can be effective for clearing a stuffy nose, says integrative medicine speciali...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?