How does non-allergic rhinitis affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Non-allergic rhinitis is caused by many things, including the common cold. About 1 billion people are affected by the common cold in the United States every year. In non-allergic rhinitis, the blood vessels expand in the nose, causing inflammation in the tissues that line the nose. This causes nasal congestion, or runniness and stuffiness, and postnasal drip. Non-allergic rhinitis symptoms are not triggered by allergies.

Non-allergic rhinitis is a bothersome condition, but it is not a serious, harmful disease. Complications like infection and nose polyps can develop in more severe cases, but these usually are not serious. Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms related to non-allergic rhinitis to discuss your treatment options.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are some triggers of non-allergic rhinitis?
Rhinitis is a condition in which the blood vessels that line the nose become inflamed and swollen, c...
What can cause nasal drip?
MediGuardMediGuard
Allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, can cause the nasal drip that may lead to other symptoms.  There is...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?