How do nasal polyps affect the sinuses?

Nasal polyps are usually your body's reaction to an adverse event that manifests themselves as bulges in the lining of the nasal tissue. Polyps pose several problems but most often are associated with reduced airflow through the nose when you take a nasal breath or they may swell and block the sinuses from draining properly. While they can often be treated with sprays and/or medications, in some situations, surgical intervention is necessary to remove the polyps.
Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Polyps are grape-like swellings that come from the lining of the sinuses. As they grow they can block the tiny channels of the sinuses and cause build-up of mucus which can lead to acute and chronic sinusitis. Further polyp growth can block the airway and make nose breathing difficult. It is not uncommon for severe nasal polyps to decrease or block the sense of smell entirely. Asthma can be worsened by polyps and they can cause sleep apnea which is obstruction of the airway while sleeping. 

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do I manage my allergic rhinitis on a daily basis?
Pay attention to what brings on your allergic rhinitis symptoms, and try to avoid those allergens th...
How does nasal congestion impair my hearing?
When you blow your nose too hard with a cold or sinusitis, this can close the eustachian tube, which...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?