How does the lymphatic system affect rhinophyma?

If the lymphatic system is functioning poorly, fluid can build up in body tissues and cause swelling. Chronic swelling, also called lymphedema, is associated with the skin condition rosacea. Some studies have found a link between chronic swelling and the development of rhinophyma. Proteins accumulate when the lymphatic system does not drain properly, leading to overgrowth of skin on the nose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How is allergic rhinitis treated?
Dr. Brian J. Broker, MDDr. Brian J. Broker, MD
Allergic rhinitis is both a swelling of the lining of the nose and thickening of the mucus. In gener...
How do medications treat nose disorders?
Medications used to treat nose disorders usually work on reducing the inflammation that causes the d...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?