Is there a cure for anosmia?

Anosmia can be caused by a variety of factors, so whether there is a cure depends on what causes your anosmia. If your anosmia is caused by an allergy or infection, your doctor can prescribe medication, and your condition will be temporary. If your anosmia is caused by a polyp or tumor, your doctor can remove the blockage, which should restore your sense of smell. If your anosmia is caused by aging or physical trauma, there is usually no cure.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
A large number of alternative treatments treat allergic rhinitis. Many programs and supplements focu...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?